The Blaca karst valley extends from Dragovode to the wide sea cove where the Chapel of the Lady on the Beach is located. The hermitage is accessed by a wide road from the Blaca cove or by the walking trail from the inner part of the island, through Nerežišća, Žurmo pool and hamlet Dragovode with houses that once belonged to earlier Blaca colonists and shepherds. The villages Obršje and Smrka also belonged to the Hermitage.
Through diligent work and sacrifice, the small monastic community acquired large estates, clearing extensive forests and cultivating and vineyards and olive groves enlarging considerable their in mid 18 th century when Blaca began flourishing for the first time. The first church devoted to the Assumption of Virgin Mary was completed in 1614. After the great fire in 1724 it was rebuilt in 1757. The complex of buildings without distinctive stylistic characteristics developed throughout the 18 th and 19 th centuries. The second extensive reconstruction of Blaca took place at the end of the 19 th century during the administration of father Niko Miličević senior. At that time the entire hermitage was encircled with a high wall, a fortress about 120 m long, 8m high and 2m thick. The church was reconstructed together with the cemetery, two stone threestorey buildings were constructed, the wine cellar equipped, the New House and “Peasant House” added and water supply regulated. The interior of the buildings was furbished with exclusive furniture, paintings, libraries and an very large number of clocks which showed time according to the most famous world observatories. Of the 11,000 books in the monastic library a considerable number dates before the year 1800. Blaca has preserved its inventory which is displayed today in the museum collection.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Shuttle pickup at agreed destination|
|NUMBER OF RIDERS||min 7 – max 28|
|DEPARTURE TIME||08:00 am or as agreed|
Sunscreen (wear it)